How We’re Setting a Christmas Budget, Gift List Etiquette and More!
Setting a Christmas budget and getting all the gifts purchased can be the most stressful part of the whole holiday.
Today on the podcast, I’m continuing a four-week series of Christmas Q+A’s! This week, I’m answering all your questions about the Christmas budget, gift buying for grandparents, and more.
The next four weeks, I’ll be posting a new Christmas Q+A on the podcast and it’ll look like this:
Learning Well LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Affiliate links from Amazon or other programs are used on this website. For more info, please refer to our disclosure statement.
- Advent and Traditions
- Christmas Gifts + Budgeting
- Christmas Homeschooling
- Christmas Food + Decor
Let’s get started talking about Christmas gifting + Christmas budgeting!
Here’s the breakdown of this week’s Q+A. You’ll find the timestamp for each question as well as some points and links to look into.
1. [1:50] What do you do if your hubby thinks it’s rude to request that grandparents not give more stuff?
- It’s really hard to ask grandparents to not gift to their grandchildren.
- Be proactive and keep communication open.
- Give suggestions!
- What to Give Your Child When They Don’t Need a Thing
2. [5:29] How do you handle giving in your larger family?
- Four gifts per kid: Something to read, something they need, something to wear and something they want
- Santa comes and brings a few things from their wishlist and stockings.
- And yes, Santa will always come to our house!
- Stocking Stuffer Ideas
3. [7:06] Grandparents want to give our kids (2-10 years) life experience gifts for Christmas but need cheap ideas.
- Children’s museum pass, zoo membership, an experience together like planting a garden, movie tickets
- Lake Day or Ice Skating Day together
- HOT TIP! I didn’t include this one in the episode, but I just noticed this great deal on Audible, which would be a GREAT “experience” gift from a grandparent!
- If you are already a member—great! Instead of a monthly membership, you’ll get all the credits upfront. Their current plan will not be extended or interrupted.
- Discount on 12-month gift membership ends December 9, 2019 at 11:59 PM PT
4. [9:09] How do you time Christmas shopping? Right up till Christmas? Done by Thanksgiving?
- I usually start in November, but I am never done by Thanksgiving.
- Black Friday is when I try to find things on sale that I know I’m buying already.
- One big Target run + an annual fun shopping date with Jarrod, dinner + a local toy shop for fun and unique gifts.
- Start with the Christmas Bullet Journal.
5. [11:41] Christmas Budget! Keeping things under control with four kids’ gifts!
- BIGGEST TIP! Save on littles. They are happy with far less expensive gifts. Save money while you can because the older the kids, the more expensive their gifts get!
- Our budgeting tool that we swear by!
6. [13:33]I’m a grandma. What are welcomed gifts for grandchildren?
- Ask the parents, chances are they will want you to take something off their list.
- I’m super choosy about my gift guides because the last thing we want is more junk in our homes that no one plays with!
Listen in here to hear about setting a Christmas budget, gifting and more:
Want to get your Christmas shopping done today? I have you covered!
Looking to add more meaning to your Christmas season? Check out these ideas:
- 24 Gift Ideas for Kids Who Don’t Need a Thing
- How to Easily Homeschool at Christmastime and Make it Meaningful
- How to Create a Brilliant Holiday Game Plan
- 13 Wonderful Christmas Read Alouds that will Make the Best Memories
Don’t forget to head over to the Learning Well Community shop to use the coupon code: ATALICIAS for 25% off!
- Follow on Instagram my personal feed: @overatalicias
- OR the homeschool feed: @learningwell
- Leave a review on iTunes here! Thanks so much!
Get the 6 Secrets to a Simpler Mom Life