Even though December gets busy, there are so many easy ways you can homeschool at Christmas time. There’s theatrical productions, the movies, the wonderful picture books and the Christmas baking. So many things you can be learning during the holidays. In this episode of Over at Alicia’s I walk you through just what you can do to balance homeschooling and the holidays. I share how you can create space to allow room to still get a little school accomplished and still do all the festive things you want to do with your family. We also talk about ways to make homeschool more festive during the holidays–subject-by-subject.
Homeschool at Christmas: How to do it Well
Learning Well LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Affiliate links from Amazon or other programs are used on this website. For more info, please refer to our disclosure statement.
Mini Nutcracker Unit Study
Read various renditions of these amazing books: Nutcracker by Maurice Sendak, The Nutcracker retold by John Cech, or The Story Orchestra: The Nutcracker. Check out these amazing chalk pastel lessons for the Nutcracker: These art lessons are proving to be the most pain-free, rewarding art lessons we do in our homeschool. Click the photo below for a sample video from The Nutcracker course! Listen to our favorite rendition of the Nutcracker music. Add in some geography with Around the World Stories.
Choose a Christmas Read Aloud
- The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
- The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder
- The Family Under the Bridge by Natalie Savage Carlson
- Snow and Rose by Emily Winfield Martin
- Tru & Nelle: A Christmas Tale by G. Neri
- Letters from Father Christmas by J. R. R. Tolkein
More Christmas Book and Read Aloud Ideas:
- Newly Published Picture Books to Sweeten Your Holidays
- Our Favorite Thanksgiving Picture Books
- Christmas Read Alouds Your Family Will Love (coming soon!)
- 70 Christmas Books to Enchant Your Christmas (coming soon!)
Be sure to look at all these ideas to create an amazing Christmas unit!
Christmas Homeschooling Ideas Subject by Subject
- Flashcards – do quick reviews to keep up on math facts
Science + Nature:
- Tinker Crates
- Pop Bottle Science Experiments
- Magic School Bus monthly science kits
- Nature Study through the Holidays
Make sure you check out this post for a more detailed list of subject by subject ideas.
Don’t forget to check out this huge list of 103 things to do when you need a substitute homeschool teacher! This is perfect for when you need to accomplish something on your Christmas to do list or if you’re feeling under the weather.
Get the 6 Secrets to a Simpler Mom Life
Christmas Homeschooling Lesson Plans
- Listening: The Avett Brothers
- Wearing: Comfy Sweaters
- Reading: The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah + A Gracious Space: Winter by Julie Bogart
Don’t forget to head over to the Learning Well Community shop to use the coupon code: ATALICIAS for 25% off!
- Follow on Instagram my personal feed: @overatalicias
- OR the homeschool feed: @learningwell
- Leave a review on iTunes here! Thanks so much!