Whether you’re heading out on a road trip or loading a plane, traveling with kids can be a tricky endeavor. Rewarding and wonderful–for sure! But tricky. You want to be prepared–but not TOO prepared and pack your entire house. You want to plan it out–but not TOO planned where you don’t have any space to relax or explore the unknown.
Today, let’s talk about traveling with kids. The good, the bad, the ugly and how to prepare for it.
Tips for Traveling with Kids
We’re not a family who goes on yearly exotic vacations. BUT with an almost-senior in high school, my mama heart is feeling that time crunch to do the things I’ve always wanted to do with my kids. Traveling is at the top of that list.
Last year for Christmas, we chose to forgo the normal spending frenzy of forgotten gifts and apply those funds instead to a trip. We did tons of research and priced airfare to dozens of locations and finally settled on Germany and Austria.
It was amazing and I miss it all–but even more than the destination, family trips are about experiencing things together. New places, different foods, people-watching–all of the little moments that make up a great vacation. These are things that will be remembered!
Get the 6 Secrets to a Simpler Mom Life
The time Noah missed the eruption of Old Faithful and all the kids cried.
The time we saw the Lost Colony come alive before our eyes on the Outer Banks.
Or when we lived some of our favorite books out on the prairie.
These are the things that stick with us for life–become part of our family’s story and our inside jokes.
Let’s go on a trip this summer–even for a long weekend away. Here’s some tips to make it the best trip yet!
Episode 30 Timestamps
- 6:35 – Tip 1 Have a Home Base
- 7:45 – Tip 2 Pack Light
- 10:01 – Tip 3 Use a Guide
- 13:43 – Tip 4 Plan Lots of Margin
- 13:52 – Tip 5 Make a Plan
- 14:48 – Tip 6 Make the Most of Your Stops
- 15:44 – Tip 7 Take Social Media off Your Phone on Vacation
- 17:52 – Currently List
Links from the Episode
- Honest Talk: How to Protect Your Kids from Pornography + How to Talk About It
- How to Quickly Create an Inexpensive Wardrobe for Your Kids
- Rick Steves Video Travel Guides
- Rick Steves Audio Tours
- Essential Glow by Stephanie Gerber
Every episode of the podcast includes a Currently List: something I’m reading or enjoying or looking forward to. Basically, anything bringing me joy that week. Here’s my
- Reading: Outer Order, Inner Calm by Gretchen Rubin
- Watching: The Killing
- Using + Loving: Essential Oils (3 balance + 3 purify + 3 lime)