19 Amazing Advent Books to Enjoy This Year
Today, I’m excited to share with you a list of Advent books that will help you and your family keep the upcoming holidays centered around the reason for the season, the birth of our Savior, Jesus.
If it feels like Christmas has become nothing more than a money-spending gift fest, you’re not alone. I feel it too. It was barely November and I walked through the newly-stocked aisles of Target and the Christmas STUFF was utterly overwhelming.
I thought, how have we gotten so far away from WHY we celebrate Christmas?
Learning Well LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Affiliate links from Amazon or other programs are used on this website. For more info, please refer to our disclosure statement.
The truth is, unless we are very intentional, the world’s version of Christmas will seep in, even if we don’t want it to.
Advent is a beautiful time to prepare our hearts, train our kids, and quietly wait. I love the days leading up to Christmas–the anticipation is such a joyous thing to share as a family. But I want the anticipation to be around Jesus’ coming, not the gifts coming to the door.
Get the 6 Secrets to a Simpler Mom Life
A great way to be intentional about keeping the center of Christmastime around Jesus is by daily Advent books.
There are many Advent books on the market, and admittedly I have not read each of the following, but these all come highly recommended and highly reviewed.
Some of the following include straight daily readings. Some include more things like poems, activities and recipes, and a few are just added in for fun to create more togetherness in your family this season.
Note: For ease of access, most of the following are linked to Amazon, but I encourage you, if you have a local book shop, to check there first for any of these titles.
Amazing Advent Books to Enjoy as a Family This Year
- Unwrapping the Names of Jesus // I ordered this one last year and it’s excellent!
- God with Us: A Family Advent Celebration // This one looks so cool! We love the Jesse Tree tradition and this book will lead you through the whole month of Jesse Tree readings and ideas to make your own Jesse Tree ornaments.
- The Advent Storybook: 25 Bible Stories Showing Why Jesus Came // A new book that looks really beautiful.
- Advent Storybook: 24 Stories to Share Before Christmas // This one is just perfect for little ones! We will read this one with Vera again this year.
- Christmas is Coming!// This one is not Christ-centered, it is just for fun and to create some daily prompts for togetherness this season. We got this one last year and it is SO cute! Every day has a simple recipe or a poem, or a fun idea to do each day in December. So fun!
- The Way to the Manger: A Family Advent Devotional // This one includes spaces for families to journal and discussion questions too.
- A Nest for the Savior: An Interactive Christmas Tradition // This one looks so cool! It’s like two books in one. One, a devotion, and the other, an activity guide that looks really cool.
- The Advent Storybook Coloring Book // A great idea for keeping little hands busy while you’re reading a devotion as a family.
More Advent Books to Enjoy as a Family
- 25 Days of Christmas Bible Verses for Advent // Good idea for older girls that like to color and journal.
- Joy to the World: Daily Readings for Advent by Charles Spurgeon // Just ordered this for me. I’m sure I will add to our Morning Meetings some days too. Love Charles Spurgeon.
- All Creation Waits: the Advent Mystery of New Beginnings // Such a cool book. We added this to our rotation last year. Every day features a different animal.
- Unearthing Wonder: A Family Advent Guide // If you do purchase the book above, I highly recommend using this guide in addition by the Peaceful Press! It includes commentary to All Creation Waits, Scripture printables, recipes and more!
- Advent Devotions & Christmas Crafts for Families: 24 Scripture Reflections & Simple Projects to Anticipate Christ’s Birth // Ok, I really want this one! Such fun and simple projects, including handmade gifts to give. Also, daily readings with discussion questions too.
- The 25 Days of Christmas: A Family Devotional to Help You Celebrate Jesus // A beautiful book I can picture Dad reading at night to the family. Simple daily readings with scripture.
- Jotham’s Journey: A Storybook for Advent // So many friends love this one!
Advent Books + Resources for Your Homeschool
- Advent: Nature Study Through the Holidays // If you’re looking for something a little more “schooly” to do through Advent, but still keep with the true meaning of Christmas, I highly recommend this nature guide from Ms. Cindy. It’s well planned and easy to use. You can download sample pages here.
- A Simple Start in Christmas Chalk Pastels + Art Videos // Again, if you want a daily-dose of Jesus this season, check out this chalk pastel book with art videos. Another great way to implement the true meaning of Christmas throughout Advent.
- Hallelujah: Cultivating Advent Traditions With Handel’s Messiah // Weekly readings, hymns, and poems and daily listening guide for Handel’s Messiah.
- The Peaceful Press Christmas Guide // I love this guide. A four-week plan for your December schooling. You can do this with elementary kids and your older kids just might want to join in on some of the crafting and cooking fun as well!
- Celebrating the Seasons with Children: A Nature Advent Calendar // Every day includes scripture reading, reflection, indoor and outdoor activities, journaling and more!
More Great Ideas for Advent
Here are a few more fun ideas that your family might enjoy:
- The Giving Manger is a really cool hands-on tradition to start with your kids. Check out their website for a full description, but essentially, your family focuses on acts of kindness throughout Advent and adding a piece of straw to the manger each time. A great centerpiece for your table through the Advent season.
- Tiny Theologians always offers amazing products for teaching kids + families about God’s Word. They have some really meaningful sets of cards to study daily with your kids for Christmastime. Check out their products here.
More Advent Ideas You Might Like:
- Here’s a podcast episode where I share about our Advent traditions
- Christmas Read Alouds to Enjoy as a Family
- 70 of the Best Christmas Picture Books of All Time
- Newly Published Christmas Picture Books
Are you reading The Christmas Carol with your kids this December? If not, it’s a great read aloud for this season! Make it even more special with games, food and maybe even a party! Check out Celebrate a Book with The Christmas Carol HERE!
I second Jotham’s Journey! We read it for the first time last year and really enjoyed it as our bedtime reading.
I would say Unwrapping the Names of Jesus OR the Charles Spurgeon book. 🙂
So which would you recommend for a house with 2 teen boys & a family that rarely is all together for any length of time?