How to Study Missionaries in a Really Simple Way Your Kids Will Love
Today I am sharing a Not Consumed review. Not Consumed is a company that creates tons of Bible studies for families, devotionals and more. This summer when I was searching for the best curriculum for our school year, I could not settled on a history curriculum. I poured over all the different options I already had on our shelves, but nothing felt like the right one for this year.
After talking with a friend, I settled on the idea of studying the lives of missionaries with my kids this school year and tying in world cultures and geography with those studies too. I already had a great option for teaching geography, but next I needed to find a resource for learning about the lives of missionaries.
After a quick search, I had found it! To Every Nation, a study of 12 missionaries through history! It was perfect and we have been loving it so far this year, so I cannot wait to share this Not Consumed curriculum review with you!
Learning Well LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Affiliate links from Amazon or other programs are used on this website. For more info, please refer to our disclosure statement.
To Every Nation: a Not Consumed Review
I knew I didn’t want to go the traditional route for history this year. Also, I wanted something to take its place where we would still be studying some history as well as some geography. After talking to a friend, I knew missionary studies were the way to go. They travel the world. Geography, check. AND there are many missionaries to study during all periods of history. Check, check.
BUT, being a little burned out on our regular history regimen, I knew I didn’t want anything with a ton of projects or prep time. (I DO love projects, but I knew I needed something a bit more flexible this year.)
Get the 6 Secrets to a Simpler Mom Life
When I found Not Consumed To Every Nation, I knew it was going to be a winner!
It contains one notebook plus a book series. The book series is actually optional because there is so much info in the notebook. But we did choose to buy some of the series of 12 books… more on that in a minute.
To Every Nation: Who + What Are We Studying?
That’s a great question!
Twelve missionaries are covered in this curriculum. Each one has a character trait to focus on through the study as well.
The book series that accompanies the curriculum is the Christian Heroes series. These can be read along with each chapter, or you can just read info straight from the notebook.
Here are the missionaries and their character traits too:
- Hudson Taylor – Endurance
- Gladys Aylward – Virtue
- Eric Liddell – Honor
- Corrie ten Boom – Forgiveness
- George Müller – Faith
- Nate Saint – Sacrifice
- Elisabeth Elliot – Focus
- David Livingstone – Perseverance
- Mary Slessor – Service
- Amy Carmichael – Compassion
- William Carey – Patience
- Adoniram Judson – Contentment
A Not Consumed Review: What’s Included?
Just two things: the notebook + the book series. If you would rather get the books from the library or if you own some of them, you can purchase the notebook by itself and save on the books.
The nice thing is, if you don’t want to read all 12 of the missionary biographies, you can just get info from the notebook–there is a lot! It’s your choice as to how in-depth you will study each missionary.
Why Homeschool Moms Will Love To Every Nation
- Having discovered Charlotte Mason early in our homeschooling journey, I have loved giving my kids short lessons. This curriculum definitely allows you to do short lessons OR make them a little longer if you desire to.
- The front of the curriculum offers a very doable lesson plan for all 36 weeks of study. Love that!
- Preparing for these lessons are very low key. I do look over the lesson before we begin, but other than that, it’s pretty much open and go!
- I really wanted to add in geography with this study, and I’m happy to say it has been so simple to do that. We are using Beautiful Feet Books Around the World with Picture Books volume One and volume Two alongside To Every Nation and it’s working beautifully.
Why Your Kids Will Love It Too
Actually my 8 year old loves this curriculum for lots of the same reasons I do! But in addition, Vera is enjoying To Every Nation because:
- the stories are so exciting! Many times we are wondering what more could happen to this missionary and have to read just one more chapter!
- It’s so fun to find where they worked on our wall map. We have a laminated map and we are marking places we’re studying in the missionary stories.
We love To Every Nation too! Some of the missionaries are part of the The Torchlighters Heroes of the Faith series and we’ve been able to pair them together. I saw Not Consumed have a second volume of To Every Nation as well. I’m so glad you all are loving it too. 😊