Sometimes we make things too complicated, don’t we? We feel like we need all the new-fangled devices and toys and trinkets, but we don’t, do we? We tend to overthink things and overlook things as simple as blocks. But I want to revisit the simplicity of blocks and a game compiled almost of just blocks that we’ve been playing a lot over here–Blocks Rock! and how you can just this simple game to make your homeschool more interesting too.
Here’s ten ways you can use Blocks Rocks! in your homeschool today.
10 Ways to use Blocks to Make your Homeschool More Interesting
- Keep Little Hands Busy // We have four kids in our homeschool. Four very different ages and very different levels of study. I am constantly being pulled in a million directions. It’s so easy to grab the iPad and turn a show on for Vera (5) while I’m helping the older kids. But it’s inevitable that after the educational show I’ve picked for her, she’ll mosey over to some weird, brain-rot cartoon and watch for too long before I can get back to working with her.
But I love having a good variety of things I can grab from and give to her to play with instead of the iPad. Blocks Rocks! has become such an easy thing for her to do by herself if I’m working with the big kids. She actually prefers playing with it alone and dinging the bell every time she solves a puzzle card. It’s so fun to watch her play!
Related: Vera’s Sibling Preschool
2. Family Logic Tournaments // Blocks Rock! is a super simple game, which makes it a great game for a whole family–it’s at everyone’s levels! It would be a great snowy afternoon activity to have a family Blocks Rock! tournament! Make a tourney chart and make snacks and see who wins the tournament!
Get the 6 Secrets to a Simpler Mom Life
3. Math-Free Day // We get really burned out on math over here. How about you? The same ol’, same ol’ can get really blah. Blocks Rock! is not necessarily a math game, but your child will be using tons of logic skills, which I feel like tie in nicely with math.
4. Quiet-Time for Mama // It doesn’t happen every day, but every day I can shuffle my kids to their rooms for quiet time, I do. I just need that time to myself for a while. Blocks Rock! is a great game that kids can take into their rooms to play. They don’t need a ton of space or they could even set it up on the floor or play alone. Either way, it’s a sure way to guarantee some quiet time for a while.
5. Read Aloud activity // I am always looking for things for my kids to do while I’m reading aloud. If your child plays Blocks Rock! alone, without the bell, this game would be perfect. Blocks are so quiet and chill! I love that! So next time you’re reading aloud and your kids seem antsy or wiggly, give them some Blocks Rock challenges while you read–you’re sure to have some quiet listeners, even if their hands are building.
RELATED: Our 35 Favorite Family Read Alouds
6. Spacial-Reasoning Development // Bet you’ve never thought about playing with blocks is actually improving your child’s spacial reasoning, right? Me neither! But every time you set out Blocks Rock! for your kids to play, they’re improving their spacial reasoning, which is a hard skill to find activities to focus on.
7. Create your own game // Get some markers out and let your kids make their own challenges. They could totally create their own shapes for each other to reconstruct with the blocks. They could even trace around the blocks to get the pieces just right. Kids love to create games and play them with each other. This would be a great way to add to an existing game and make it more customized!
8. Learning about 3D // I love that Blocks Rock! has an app in which the children can create 3D structures. This is a really cool skill that they’ll be able to make more sense out of loads more things as they move forward. The 3D piece is a great addition to the game and would add so much panache to a boring homeschool day.
9. Creating a Mosaic or other Design // Forget the competition for a while and have your kids work together to create a mosaic or other designs with all the blocks. Learn about symmetry and balance as you go. Have the kids lay out their designs on a piece of card stock and trace around when they get their design just right. When they trace around the blocks they can pull the blocks away and color in the shapes for an even more customized design.
10. Family Game Night // Learning doesn’t have to stop after 3pm and game night is definitely a great time to learn together. Take an easy day of school on a Friday and call a Family Fun Game Night. Order pizza, set up Blocks Rock! and you’ll have a great family fun night and be flexing your logic muscles too!
READY TO CHECK IT OUT FOR YOURSELF?
Right now, Blocks Rocks! is running an awesome deal–$18 off with a coupon on Amazon (limited time only)! So, a great time to add it to your game library or a gift under your Christmas tree this year!
FIND BLOCKS ROCK! ALL OVER THE WEB:
- Check out their website for a TON of research and loads of ideas!
- Blocks Rock! on Twitter
- on Instagram
- and on Facebook
YOU ALSO MIGHT LIKE:
- 103 Stocking Stuffers to Encourage Learning
- Christmas Schooling Ideas w/ a Free Planning Download
- Christmas Read Alouds You Don’t Want to Miss
- More Reviews from Learning Well Community