I might not be here forever, and just in case that’s true I felt the need, it being Mother’s Day and all, to share with you a few things I definitely want you to know about life…
1. Be Yourself…Always. Ya, I know everyone says that, “Just be yourself.” “Just be yourself.” But really…be yourself. God made you YOU for a very special reason. Don’t pretend to be somebody else just because you think they’re cooler or something boneheaded like that. It’s not true. You are you. You are amazing.
2. Don’t be afraid to ruffle feathers, go against the grain, rock the boat. A lot of people don’t like these things. A lot of people think it’s better to say “Peace! Peace! When there is no peace.” Don’t be afraid to say, “I disagree.” or “Yo! Yo y’all, this ain’t right”…except if I here you say “ain’t” I might have to flick your little homeschooled lips, y’hear?
Learning Well LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Affiliate links from Amazon or other programs are used on this website. For more info, please refer to our disclosure statement.
3. Set your standards high and stick to it. I’m talking about spouses here mainly and mostly to Sophie. Boys, I know you’ll find sweet wives I just know it. But Sophia? Oh Sophia, you better know that your Mama isn’t going to take too kindly to punks. K? You are a princess, born and bred. You better act like it. If your sweet lil friend honks from the curb in his car to “pick you up” you better bet you will not be going on a date with that boy. The end.
4. Be kind. Be kind. Be kind. Be kind.
Get the 6 Secrets to a Simpler Mom Life
5. Be friends with each other. I pray all the time that you will all be friends when you’re grown. You have a special relationship with one another that cannot be imitated. Don’t forget it. You’re each others built in play dates. Love on each other.
6. Respect others, respect yourself. If you don’t respect yourself who will? If you don’t respect others why would anyone respect you? Comprendé?
7. “Do not be afraid.” This one is not from me, this is your Creator. He said it a lot in His word. Something like 300 times. It’s the most repeated command in Scripture. Pretty sure He means it. Don’t be afraid to mess up, to make mistakes, to be embarrassed, to look foolish, to stand up for what you believe, or to do something different. “Do not be afraid, do not be discouraged.”
8. Choose your friends and your role models carefully. Whether you expect it or not and whether you want to or not, you will act like who you hang out with. Even though we homeschool and you’re with me more than your friends, your friends will still influence a very very great deal. Choose wisely, my owlets.
9. If you want something to change, then change something. Sometimes we’re in hard spots for a reason…they teach us things, they make us stronger. But sometimes we’re just on a hamster wheel of ridiculousness and refuse to get off. Get out of there, you’re a human not a hamster, and change what’s not working. If you want something to change, then change something.
10. I want you to love Jesus, but not just because I do. I don’t want to scare you into submission. I don’t want to freak you out with threats of an eternal fiery death. I want you to make that choice on your own…you can’t piggyback my faith. You gotta have your own. Ask me questions…ask me anything. But don’t let me think for you. I so desire for all of you to have a deep relationship with your Creator, but not just because I told you to.
That is all for now. Happy Mother’s Day to me! And thank you, dear ones, for giving me a reason to celebrate today.