A few weeks ago on Instagram, my friend Abbie shared a post with some of her unpopular opinions. I was mostly in agreement with her unpopular opinions until she turned heretical when it came to coffee–it’s ok though. God’s forgiveness is unending and I’m praying she repents someday soon.
So I thought I would follow her lead (besides the heresy, of course) and share some of my unpopular opinions, but with a Christmas twist.
We all have a lot of opinions, don’t we? And we live in a time where everyone feels the need to make their opinions known. I’m not one to dogpile on an idea, but watch me as I dogpile.
Learning Well LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Affiliate links from Amazon or other programs are used on this website. For more info, please refer to our disclosure statement.
I feel it’s only fair that you know who you’re following, so without further ado, here are my unpopular opinions surrounding Christmas.
My Unpopular Opinions on Christmas:
- I find most Christmas music highly obnoxious. There is nothing in me that wants Jingle Bells “Rocked” or Jingle Bells “regular.” Holly + Ivy, Good King Wenceslas, Still, Still, Still, O Holy Night…yes! Any of those. All I Want for Christmas Is You? No. Santa Baby slipping a sable under the tree? I’ve been an awful good girl?! Ew, what is this? I’ll take the old hymns that mean things that are actually Christmas-related please. Thanks.
- The Elf of the Shelf is a bad idea. Everyone I know who does this regrets it by December 4th. Talk about undue and self-induced pressure. Also, kinda creepy.
- I like Santa. I just do. Around September 1 when it seems the entire population of Christians begins to debate whether or not Halloween is permissible, and then quickly melds into the Santa debate around November 1–I’m out for that. Do we teach our kids Who Jesus is? Yes. Does Old Saint Nick come around on Christmas Eve. Also yes. Does this interfere with my kids’ eternal well-being? I’m gonna say no. I wrote about this topic HERE six years ago.
- The commercialization of Christmas almost makes me physically ill. Walking through stores, the sound of the lady’s voice on all the commercials, the piles and piles and PILES of clearance after Christmas–is SO sickening to me. I like gifts and I like giving them too. But it’s so far from the actual point of Christmas it is gross. I do very little walking around stores this time of year. I have a list and I get in and get out. It’s TOO much!
- Merry Christmas > Happy Holidays. The excuse that the woke mob shrieks is that “happy holidays” is more inclusive. Maybe so. To me though, it seems like just one more way to secularize everything. Christmas is a celebration of the birth of Christ. Merry Christmas!
- Egg Nog is disgusting. It tastes like raw egg yolks and cream. Maybe that’s what it actually is, I’ve never looked into it. It’s bad. The end.
What are your unpopular opinions surrounding Christmas?? Let me know below!
Get the 6 Secrets to a Simpler Mom Life