If you need to keep hands busy while you’re teaching a math lesson or reading aloud?? Thinking Putty is your answer. It’s seriously the most therapeutic toy ever and I love to buy the little containers for my kids whenever I see them. Recently, Timberdoodle Co. asked me if I’d like to test out and review a Mixed By Me Thinking Putty kit? Ummmm, you don’t have to twist my arm for that! We love this stuff, so why wouldn’t we want to try out making our own!?
Mixed by Me Thinking Putty kit
The kit comes with five tins of clear putty, three colors to add in, three special effects to add in–glitter-izer, glow-in-the-dark, and shimmer-izer. There’s also some extra stickers to label your tin and colored pencils to add details to your label as well. Last, there’s a mat to help you come up with ideas to mix your own putty.
Get the 6 Secrets to a Simpler Mom Life
The process is really pretty simple (and I love that). You choose what color you want to make your putty–you might even want to mix some colors. Use the mat to help you gauge how much color to use. There’s a helpful little chart on it to measure your add-ins. Then, simply knead the putty in your hands till it’s all mixed together. Your kids will probably want to add more stuff in to see how it will change. Mine did this several times. The shimmer-izer was my favorite.
When you’re all ready to put it away, label your tin to keep them straight and that’s it! Pull it out whenever your child needs to keep his hands busy. It’s pretty perfect.
Pro’s (from my kids and me) about Mixed By Me Thinking Putty kit:
- This is a super easy project. You don’t need a lot of time to do this project.
- You don’t need any extra supplies. It’s all in there for you.
- My kids loved playing with this. I honestly don’t know how many times they said, “this is so cool!!” or “I love this!” I have a tough crowd sometimes, so this was very encouraging.
- This kit is geared for ages eight and up, but I could even help my three-year-old mix her putty–whole family fun.
- The quality of Thinking Putty is why everyone loves it so much. It’s pretty amazing stuff. I was hesitant that this kit would include the same quality of product, but it totally did.
- I love fun kits but I don’t like having to figure out where to store a random box with extra supplies in it. This kit was totally done after our project. We threw away everything but the putty. This is really nice when you don’t want a bunch of random stuff around your shelves.
- I asked my kids what they didn’t like about this kit. They had a hard time coming up with anything, but they said that it was a little hard to tell what you were going to come up with when you mixed. For example, they might have been trying to create purple putty, but the combination of blue and red that they used along with the shimmer-izer and glitter might have created more of a blue-grey, like mercury. But they also really liked that surprise, so they really didn’t know if that was a con or not 😉
- More! We wanted to make more. I would totally have a back-up box of this for rainy days. The amount of putty in each tin is perfect! I just wish there were more of them 🙂 (There’s enough to make five tins…I’m probably just experiencing large family probs.)
If you love Thinking Putty, I can say confidently that you’ll love this too. Perfect for a rainy day this summer!