47+ of the Best Fall Picture Books That Will Help You Celebrate the Season
If I happened to get lost in a book store, you would almost certainly find me in the children’s book section. And if the time of year was anytime August through November, I would almost certainly be searching through the fall picture books for titles we needed to add to our home library.
Creating a home library of quality picture books has always been a huge goal of mine. I love to sift through all our titles when any holiday rolls around and pull all the books pertaining to the season off to create an inviting pile right by the fireplace.
My kids love this tradition too. I’ll even find my teenagers flipping through the pile and remembering the 100 times we’ve read them together.
Learning Well LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Affiliate links from Amazon or other programs are used on this website. For more info, please refer to our disclosure statement.
The fall picture books are some of my favorites–and they just keep getting better!
I created the following list for anyone looking to round out their home library and grab some new titles. I’ve marked the books that are our top family favorites like this (*).
Get the 6 Secrets to a Simpler Mom Life
The following 47 fall picture books are separated into categories for easy reading. You’ll find fall nature books, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and books about pumpkins, apples and other fall themes.
Fall Picture Books about Nature
- Wonderfall by Michael Hall // Classic story about the wonder and beauty of fall.
2. * Leaf Man by Lois Elhert // This book always makes me want to create creatures from leaves and fall finds.
3. Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf by Lois Elhert // We have read this book and Leaf Man SO MANY TIMES!
4. * Fall Walk by Virginia Brimhall Snow // I want to collect all four of these books. They are literally a nature walk for each season and all the treasures to see. Love it!
5. * Goodbye Summer, Hello Autumn by Kenard Pak // I love this whole series! Probably because I love the change of seasons so much. The illustrations of summer changing over into fall are just the best!
6. Hello, Harvest Moon by Ralph Fletcher // Beautiful fall picture book!
7. * Owl Babies by Marin Waddell // Ahhhhh we love this book so much! Owls always make me think of fall. These three owl babies are missing their mama who is out hunting for food one night. (Little Bill is our favorite!)
8. Fletcher and the Falling Leaves by Julia Rawlinson // So so cute about little Fletcher, a doggy who can’t get enough of the fall leaves.
9. * Now It’s Fall by Lois Lenski // This book is an oldie, but one of my favorites. It takes you through all the smells, and sites of fall plus all the holidays and things to do.
10. We Gather Together: Celebrating the Harvest Season // A fun and fact-filled book about science, the weather, and the fall equinox.
11. In November by Cynthia Rylant // This book is beautiful. It shares about the changes outside as the weather turns colder.
Check out this list of winter picture books and nature ideas!
Picture Books about Pumpkins + Apples + Fall Fun
12. The Scarecrow by Beth Ferry // This is a brand new book and it looks amazing! It’s in my cart now. Love the illustrations!
13. The Roll-Away Pumpkin by Junia Wonders
14. * How to Make An Apple Pie and See the World by Marjorie Priceman // I LOVE this book! It takes you across the world as the main character gathers ingredients to bake an apple pie.
15. Apples to Oregon by Deborah Hopkinson + Nancy Carpenter // Great story about the Oregon Trail.
16. County Fair (My First Little House Books) // Based on a chapter in the book Farmer Boy when Almanzo shows his prize pumpkin at the fair.
17. * Now it’s Fall by Lois Lenski // This book is an oldie, but one of my favorites. It takes you through all the smells, and sites of fall plus all the holidays and things to do.
18. Barn Dance by Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault // A fall harvest classic!
19. Johnny Appleseed by Reeve Lindbergh // Sweet story of the life of Johnny Appleseed. Great illustrations.
20. Apples by Gail Gibbons // I love these books from Gail Gibbons. So much information about apples–from how they grow to the different varieties and more.
21. *How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin? by Margaret McNamera // This book would be great for a unit study as it ties in lots of math concepts with the season.
Halloween Picture Books
22. Hocus Pocus It’s Fall by Anne Sibley O’Brien
23. Stumpkin // I LOVE this book because it’s so true–who wants to buy the pumpkin whose stem has broken off?!
24. The Salem Witch Trials: an Unsolved Mystery in History // I love to tie in history with any holiday, so this is fascinating!
25. * Little Boo by Stephen Wunderli// Vera loves this story about a little pumpkin seed 😉
26. * Pumpkin Jack by Will Hubbell // This could also be considered a nature book too. It shows how one jack-o-lantern rots and breaks down.
Check out this list of over 25 Halloween Homeschool ideas and more book picks!
More Halloween Picture Books
27. A World Full of Spooky Stories: 50 Tales to Make Your Spine Tingle // If you have older kids that love spooky tales–this is for you! I’ve heard from friends that some of the stories are QUITE scary though!
28. Skeletons are not Spooky by Kaine Duds // Super cute book about skeletons getting a bad rap.
29. Ice Scream Every time I See a Ghost: Illustrated Halloween Joke Book by Luna James // I love having a good joke book about the holidays. My kids love them too!
30. * Pick a Pumpkin by Patricia Toht // This is new to our shelves this year and we love it! The illustrations are just the best!
31. Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson // This book makes us laugh like crazy! The witch is trying to fly and keeps picking up extra creatures and her broom gets very crowded.
32. How to Make Friends with a Ghost by Rebecca Green // A new book that is all about making friends with those that are different than you 🙂
33. She Made a Monster: How Mary Shelley Created Frankenstein by Lynn Fulton // You know I LOVE biographies for kids, so I love this book about the woman who wrote the book, Frankenstein!
34. * Pumpkin Moonshine by Tasha Tudor // I love all Tasha Tudor’s books, but this fall classic is my favorite!
Picture books about Thanksgiving
35. * Thanksgiving in the Woods by Phylis Alsdurf // One of the sweetest Thanksgiving books I’ve read about the gathering of friends in the woods of upstate New York. Just the coziest!
36. Apple Cake: A Gratitude// This is a new book and looks so wonderful. It’s a story of a girl delivering an apple cake and being thankful for all that nature provides. Perfect for November!
37. * Three Young Pilgrims by Cheryl Harness // One of my VERY favorites because there are so many amazing details in this story! The illustrations are just amazing. We love just paging through this one, not even always reading it!
38. * Sarah Morton’s Day: The Day in the Life of a Pilgrim Girl // I got this book from a Scholastic book order when I was in grade school and I have loved it since then. The book is full of photographs to depict a pilgrim girl going through her day. I love this way of showing history.
39. Thank You, Sarah: The Woman Who Saved Thanksgiving // A very interesting, historical story of a woman who helped Thanksgiving become a national holiday.
40. A Plump and Perky Turkey // My kids love this book! Super funny tale about turkeys boycotting Thanksgiving! 🙂
41. Balloons over Broadway: The True Story of the Puppeteer of Macy’s Parade // SUCH a cool book about the Macy Parade we all watch on Thanksgiving!
42. * The Night Before Thanksgiving // Another favorite in our house. Fun and rhyme-y and shows a pretty accurate account of the busyness leading up to Thanksgiving day.
More picture books about Thanksgiving–I could make this list SO much longer!!
43. Squanto’s Journey // Fabulous picture book about the first Thanksgiving.
44. Cranberry Thanksgiving // A classic written in 1971 about protecting a special family recipe!
45. The Thanksgiving Story // A Caldecott Medal winner about the first Thanksgiving. A classic!!
46. * Over the River and Through the Woods // There are many renditions of this story, but this is my favorite! Such a cozy story of traveling through the woods in the snow to celebrate Thanksgiving as a big family.
47. Thankful by Eileen Spinelli // Such a sweet rhyming story about thankfulness. I love how they pick the tiniest details to be thankful for.
48. * Sharing the Bread: An Old-Fashioned Thanksgiving Story // This story is so good because of the wonderful description of carefully preparing the Thanksgiving meal. Such great details in this book.
49. * Ox-Cart Man // Not just for fall, but this book is one of my VERY favorites and it always reminds me of fall. A farming family gathers all the goods they’ve grown and made throughout the year and Father takes it to town to sell. It just feels so cozy and lovely this time of year!