I’m not a big tech person. We don’t play a ton of video games or invest in lots of gadgets. Last Christmas, we got a couple of Echo Dots because they were on sale, but I didn’t think we’d use them much. How wrong I was! The Echo Dot uses are endless!!
My friends know I love our Echo Dots, so I’ve gotten many messages about how we use ours. Welp, pretty much for everything! These little devices can be so useful for your homeschool and your home.
I’m going to lay out our top 27 Echo Dot uses, but there are so many more! To make this list a little more manageable, I’ve split up the uses into home and homeschool.
Learning Well LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Affiliate links from Amazon or other programs are used on this website. For more info, please refer to our disclosure statement.
Echo Dot Uses for Your Homeschool
- Alarm clock “Alexa, set an alarm for 7am.” Get the kids up and at ’em!
- Timer for lessons “Alexa, set the timer for 5 minutes.” The timer function is SO handy! We also really love our visual timer too, but the Dot is so easy!
- Audiobooks “Alexa, play The Hobbit.” We use this function all the time! It’s great to turn on while the kids are doing dishes or other chores–totally cuts down on squabble time!
- Get into a good morning routine “Alexa, start my morning routine.” This is awesome because you can set up what you want your morning routine to look like: meditation, affirmations, things to be grateful for, the day’s top priority, etc. SO GOOD!
- Practice geography “Alexa, open state capitol game.”
- Current events “Alexa, what’s the news of the day?” Set this to play whatever news outlet you choose.
- Check the weather “Alexa, what’s the weather today.”
- Spell checking “Alexa, how do you spell ‘acquaintance’?”
- Practice foreign language “Alexa, how to you say ‘water’ in German?”
- Play trivia games “Alexa, launch Geo Quiz.” There are SO many trivia-type games available on the Echo Dot. This command will launch a quiz from National Geographic–fun!
- Encourage quiet time “Alexa, open Amazon Storytime.”
Echo Dots Uses for You and Your Home
Ways to Use Alexa in Your Home
- Make phone calls “Alexa, call Jarrod’s cell.” This is such an awesome feature! It totally replaces the need for a landline and makes emergency calls too if needed.
- Keep track of kids’ screen time “Alexa, ask Circle how long do I have left on YouTube?” We have used an loved the Disney Circle to filter the internet in our home. Alexa will pair with the Circle and help you keep tabs on screen time.
- Counting calories “Alexa, how many calories does an apple have?”
- Have a dance party “Alexa, play my dance playlist.”
- Start tracking habits/chores “Alexa, help me create a chore chart.”
- Convert recipe measurements “Alexa, how many tablespoons are in a cup?”
- Set a kitchen timer “Alexa, set a timer for 6 minutes.”
- Make announcements “Alexa, announce it’s time for dinner!” Get everyone around the table for dinner–this function will make your announcement on all the devices in your home.
- Listen to podcasts “Alexa, play Over at Alicia’s podcast.”
- Help the kiddos get to sleep “Alexa, play ocean sounds on a loop.”
- Make the family laugh “Alexa, tell me a joke.”
- Workout “Alexa, launch 7 minute workout.”
- Shop “Alexa, add toilet paper to my Amazon cart.”
- Clean your house “Alexa, tell the Roomba to start vacuuming.” The Dot can also pair with any other “smart” devices in your home. It could lock doors, turn off lights and more.
- Set reminders “Alexa, remind me to call Mom tomorrow.”
- Meditate “Alexa, open Headspace.” If you’re a subscriber to the Headspace app, you can use this function to launch the app and it will lead you through an awesome meditation. I love this app!
The Echo Dot was extremely easy to set up too, which is key for me! Just plug it in, download the app and it prompts you to set it up in just a few minutes.
Get the 6 Secrets to a Simpler Mom Life