It’s no secret that books are extremely important over here. If you stop by, our overflowing bookshelves are a sure sign that we are obsessed. But we’re also picky about our books. Reading high quality literature to my kids from the get-go has groomed them all to be a bit book-snobbish–and I secretly LOVE that about my kids 😉 Beautiful Feet Books is a company I’ve found I never have to guess if the books I’m ordering are quality–because they always are. I hope this Beautiful Feet Books review will encourage you to take a gander at their catalog and add to your own collection as well.
This winter and spring, we’ve been learning about character in the best possible way: through literature. Beautiful Feet Books sent us their character study, which included an absolutely gorgeous box of books AND a guide with discussion questions and a general plan. We have adored learning this way and I can’t wait to share all the titles with you and exactly how we used this study, as we were able to really modify it to fit our family’s natural rhythm and needs.
A Beautiful Feet Books Review on Teaching Character through Literature
Beautiful Feet Books offers many literature-based curricula. History for young, middle, and high schoolers, science, music, and more are offered. But we were so lucky to collaborate together and they sent us a pack called Teaching Character through Literature to see what we thought of it.
Learning Well LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Affiliate links from Amazon or other programs are used on this website. For more info, please refer to our disclosure statement.
Teaching Character through Literature Intermediate is a set of books that also includes a guide to help the mama along. The guide shows what order to read the books, breaking down the readings, and discussion questions for each read aloud time. The guide also gives suggestions for notebooking with your child each week as well.
Through the books, lessons on character are pulled out of the readings. Each week there’s also Bible scriptures that you can read and/or memorize each week. These scriptures correlate to the character trait being talked about in the current selection of the book.
Get the 6 Secrets to a Simpler Mom Life
Many of the BFB studies have a recommend length of time to finish them. The Character Intermediate study does not have a recommended amount of time, so we’ve been taking our time and slowly devouring our set of books…and it’s been wonderful!
How we used Teaching Character Intermediate
This pack of books is amazing. We’ve been reading everything from Fables to a book about a snotty prince to another one about a boy proving himself out on the open waters. We’ve enjoyed some books more than others, but we’ve certainly enjoyed them all. We can’t wait to continue reading this set of books! Next up: The Little Prince!
In the literature guide, they suggest copying/memorizing scripture and notebooking along with the daily readings. I LOVE that idea and we have actually been doing that with another Beautiful Feet Books pack, geography…we are loving that one too! But this winter and spring were harder for us to get our notebooking stuff out. So we haven’t, but I don’t think it’s effected the study at all! Either way is fine!
How we use Teaching Character through Literature Intermediate is really complicated….ready for this one? Just read.
Yep, that’s it! We have added our current “Character” book to the few books that we read in the morning and we just continue to read away! We love to use the guide for discussion questions and looking up a scripture or two if we feel like it.
What this Mama Really Loves about Beautiful Feet Books
- Any book offered by BFB is sure to be a winner. They are tried and true, living books and their name is a seal of approval in my book.
- For high school, they offer full courses and many of them will give your student TWO high school credits instead of just one. I love that!
- This way of teaching through literature is really adaptable to your family’s needs. Add more or less–whatever works! We vary our approach depending on the time of year.
- If a book isn’t appealing to your family, just skip it. It won’t affect the overall study.
- Teaching through literature is a fresh way of learning that will never get dry or boring–with the right books! Teaching with living literature is so much better than a textbook.
- There’s just some things that are learned best through stories. The lessons stick forever.
- You are able to customize your literature packs based on books you already own or just simply don’t want included. Being someone who struggles conforming to curriculum, I love that their packs are customizable.
What’s Included in Teaching Character Intermediate from BFB
- Teaching Character through Literature Guide
- The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (We finished this one and loved it! This book teaches about speaking kind words and trying to understand one another Also, the illustrations are so good!)
- The Happy Prince and Other Tales by Oscar Wilde
- Benjamin Franklin by Ingri and Edgar D’Aulaire (This one is excellent and just happened to fit in with our history study as well!)
- Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Brink
- The Door in the Wall by Marguerite De Angeli
- The Family Under the Bridge by Nancy Savage Carlson (This one was such a great story! We learned about compassion and it was a great book to discuss.)
- The Whipping Boy by Syd Fleischman (This is a perfect book for teaching character as it seems that there’s only ONE nice person in the whole book.)
- The Gathering of Days by Joan W. Blos (We are almost done with this one and we are loving the journal-entry style of this book.)
- Call it Courage by Armstrong Perry (Another Newberry Winner, this was the biggest surprise we’ve read. I wasn’t sure what to expect with this book but we were dying to see what happened by the end!)
- The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
- The Green Ember by S.D. Smith
- Fables by Arnold Lobel (We LOVE this one! We read a few fables between each book and my kids always want to read more! They are fables made up by Lobel, so we’ve never heard these stories before and they teach such great lessons with wonderful stories!)
CONNECTING WITH BEAUTIFUL FEET BOOKS
I love to follow my favorite homeschool companies on social media, especially Instagram. You can follow Beautiful Feet Books there too. You can also go to their website to request a catalog. It’s a beautiful look at all the literature packs they have to offer. I’ve started using my catalog as a wish list!
A CHANCE TO GET BEAUTIFUL FEET BOOKS FOR FREE!
Enter the giveaway for a chance to win $100 credit to Beautiful Feet Books! Good luck!!